Monday, January 29, 2007

By Jove I think I've Got It!

Happy Monday!!

I'm going to try to work my tail off for at least the first few days of the week, so I can bask in the distraction that comes from Super Bowl fever.

(For those of you dwelling under a rock or lacking "sports awareness" the Indianapolis Colts, headed by superstar and ad-master QB Peyton Manning, are SUPER BOWL BOUND!!)

And Super Bowl fever may be just what need to warm us up here in the great Midwest tundra, cuz baby, its COLD outside! The temperature is currently 13 degrees (and that is Fahrenheit, not Celsius). For a Hoosier, that's almost cold enough to put on a coat!

The lack of outer clothing seems to be a "Hoosiersm." Many of us here in Indiana just don't feel the need to wear a coat when the mercury plunges.
Hubby and I were shopping Saturday, both dressed in sweatshirts, with the temperature a balmy 33 degrees and a kick ass wind out of the Northwest. I thought for a few minutes about my thin-blooded friends in Florida, who actually start to shiver at about 60 degrees. Then I looked around to see if other shoppers were bundled up and noticed that only a few people had bothered to put on any outerwear, and most of those were just windbreakers. Coat-wearers were definitely in the minority.

It made me wonder if I have stumbled upon the true origin of the word Hoosier. Could it come from the sound we Indiana-folk make in winter when we step outside and the arctic air sucks the breath out of our scantily clad bodies? It seems to make sense to me because its the same sound we make in summer, when we step outside and are punched in the face by the 98 degree heat and 125 percent humidity. Anyway, its as plausible as any other definition I've ever heard for the word.

I planned to work on this blog a little bit over the weekend. About as far as I got was adding a page element that I hope to turn into a regular feature. Check out the "Hey You! Outta the Gene Pool!" This spot will be updated occasionally to poke fun at those folks who make me quake in fear that their DNA will be spread.

The rest of the weekend was spent in absolute couch potato paradise. It was cold. It was snowing. My son was visiting "Beelzebub" for the weekend. So the hubby and I started a roaring fire in the fireplace, got under some warm blankies and killed brain cells with bad television and old movies all day long. It was one of the nicest Sundays we have had in a long time.

May this week bring all of you all health, happiness and productivity, all capped off by a stunning Super Bowl win for our boyz in blue.

GO COLTS!!!!

1 comment:

Richmond said...

Heh - I hear you about the no coat thing. I live a tad north of you, but you see the same phenomenon here. Now that we are below zero, though, even *I* have put on a coat and scarf.

Saw high schoolers walking home in short sleeves yesterday... They're made of tougher stuff than me. ;)